This year, the festival organizers will play host to in-person, outdoor screenings across all five boroughs from June 9th through June 20th.
So what can you expect? 64 films from 81 filmmakers from more than 23 countries, a whopping 54 of which are world premieres.
This year, more than 60% of the feature films playing at the festival were directed by female, BIPOC and LGBTQ+ artists. (Yea!) And, as the festival will run through Juneteenth, they've curated special programming to celebrate voices from the African diaspora with an emphasis on African American artists, performers and filmmakers. (Double-yea!)
Opening night you'll find the much-anticipated world premiere of In The Heights, brought to you by everyone's fave, Lin-Manuel Miranda!
Here are a few other highlights:
- Ilana Glazer, of Broad City fame, writes and stars in False Positive, which delves into a couple's fertility problems.
- Elijah Wood stars in No Man of God, about the infamous serial killer Ted Bundy.
- HBO Max is featuring LFG, featuring Megan Rapinoe and Jessica McDonald, which highlights the US women's national soccer league and its fight for equal pay.
- BITCHIN': The Sound and Fury of Rick James profiles the legendary funk/R&B icon.
- A Choice of Weapons chronicles the career of photographer Gordon Parks.
- Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain is just that...a tribute to the much-missed celebrity chef.
These are just a few of the titles included in the festival. Pass prices run the gamut from $25 to $25,000 (gulp!) and go on sale May 1st.
Image via Brandy Madison/Flickr