We knew that would get your attention. Art lovers listen up: Saturday, September 18th, is Smithsonian Museum Day, when museums across the country will be offering free admission to anyone presenting a special Museum Day ticket.
September is the month when all of the cultural institutions in the city trot out their newest exhibitions, so it's the perfect time to visit, if you ask us.
Here are the museums within the five boroughs of the city taking part in this promotion:
- Museum of Arts and Design
- The Barlow-Pell Mansion Museum
- The Museum of the City of New York
- The New York City Fire Museum
- Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art at Snug Harbor
- Poster House
- The AKC Museum of the Dog
- The Noble Maritime Collection
- The Williamsburg Art & Historical Center
Some of these museums are unusual. The Poster House, for example, is the first museum in the US dedicated exclusively to poster art. The Barlow-Penn Mansion Museum is the last remaining 19th-century estate in Bronx's Pelham Bay Park. The Noble Maritime Collection presents exhibitions that celebrate the working waterfront of the New York Harbor and the AKC Museum of the Dog celebrates our four-legged friends.
Participants can download one ticket per email address, which will provide general admission for two people.
Image in public domain.